So I have recently gotten hooked on Pinterest. It is slightly addicting and I am trying very hard to keep my addiction under control. So this afternoon I saw a Pin which read “baked Oatmeal to go instead of Granola Bars” but somehow all that registered in my brain was GRANOLA BARS. So I repined it and thought what a great idea I am totally making those! So I got out all the ingredients:
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Applesauce, unsweetened
- 5 Cups, Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Banana
- 2 3/4 Cups Almond Milk
- 3/4 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Optional Toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips
I followed the directions to a T:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana & honey
- Add oats, salt, baking powder, flaxseed & cinnamon mix well
- Pour in milk and combine
- Spray muffin tins w/cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
- If using fresh fruit, add before filling cups. If using toppings add after filling cups.
- Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean!
So I mixed them up and popped the bad boys in the oven fully expecting to have granola bars when they were done. Um hello??? It’s not like I haven’t baked before how would my kids eat a 3 inch think granola bar! Yep I was really thinking clearly. So after 30 minutes to my surprise I have a dense cupcake…what happened to my granola bars? I immediately go back to my aforementioned PIN. Oh isn’t that crazy how it says quite clearly Personalized Baked Oatmeal!!! LOL Yep
Now that being said!!!! I tossed one of those babies in my mouth and was delighted! What a great idea for breakfast. My kids love oatmeal and I know it only takes a few minutes in the microwave but hey I made this myself! So the directions from Sugar-Free Mom say that I can just plop these suckers in the freezer so that is what I intend to do! Some times the best surprised come from the biggest accidents!